PSA: BMW IBSF World Cup Bobsleigh & Skeleton at the Whistler Sliding Centre, January 22-23
Whistler, BC: The Whistler Sliding Centre will be hosting the BMW IBSF World Cup Bobsleigh & Skeleton on January 22 and 23. This event with world-class international participation will be the first one in a series leading up to the Bobsleigh & Skeleton World Championships Whistler 2019. There will be over 100 athletes from 18 nations competing in the event.
Friday January 22, 2016
2:00 pm IBSF World Cup Woman’s Skeleton #6 / Heat 1
3:30 pm IBSF World Cup Woman’s Skeleton#6 / Heat 2
4:30 - 6:00 pm BREAK
6:00 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Man Bobsleigh#5 / Heat 1
7:30 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Man Bobsleigh#5 / Heat 2
Saturday January 23, 2016
10:00 am IBSF World Cup Men’s Skeleton #6 / Heat 1
11:30 am IBSF World Cup Men’s Skeleton #6 / Heat 2
12:30 - 2:00 pm BREAK
2:00 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Woman Bobsleigh#6 / Heat 1
3:30 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Woman Bobsleigh#6 / Heat 2
4:30 - 6:00 pm BREAK
6:00 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Man Bobsleigh#6 / Heat 1
7:30 pm IBSF World Cup 2-Man Bobsleigh#6 / Heat 2
On-Site Services January 22 & 23:
- Spectator Shuttle to top start area of track
- Food and Beverage in the Festival area (Lower Loop):
- Tim Hortons (coffee and hot chocolate)
- Gibbons Life Beer Garden (beer, cider, mulled wine)
- Schnitzel Shack (you guessed it... schnitzel!)
- Sugar Mama Pastries (sweet treats: cookies, cupcakes, squares)
- Covered spectator warming area
- Retail: Buy a Sliding Centre bell to make some noise!
- Fireworks at the conclusion of each race day!
Ticket cost is $10 (incl. tax), Children 12 and under are free. Proceeds from ticket sales go towards sliding sports.
Tickets are available online, at the track entrance ticket booth, or in Guest Services building.
How to get to the Whistler Sliding Centre
The Blackcomb Gondola: “Excalibur” will be open from 8:30am-9:30pm. No ticket is required to get on the Gondola as long as you are not dressed for skiing or snowboarding / are not carrying skis or snowboards (similar to access to the Tube Park).
Parking is available in lots 1-5 in the Village with access on the gondola. Parking is also available in lots 6, 7 and 8 (within walking distance to the Whistler Sliding Centre).
Public Transit: BC Transit bus system to Staff Housing (route 7), followed by a short walk to the venue. Timetables/fares available here: http://www.bctransit.com/regions/whi/schedules
The week leading up to the main event:
Official Training: Access for spectators free during Official Training. There are no on-site services (food etc.). Spectator access to the Lower Loop only (from Maple Leaf Start to the Finish).
- Tuesday Jan. 19: 9:00 am - 12:00 pm OT Bobsleigh- Men/Women; 3:00 - 6:00 pm OT Skeleton- Men/Women
- Wednesday Jan. 20: 10:00 am - 1:00 pm OT Skeleton- Men/Women; 3:00 - 6:00 pm OT Bobsleigh- Men/Women
- Thursday Jan. 21: 10:00 - 11:30 am & 12:00 - 1:30 pm OT Skeleton- Men/Women; 3:00 - 4:30 pm & 6:00 - 7:30 pm OT Bobsleigh- Men/Women
Activation in the Village:
- Wednesday & Thursday 4:00-6:00pm: Animated screen in the Village/at the Olympic Plaza (fun interaction with Canadian athletes and a chance to win event tickets).
- Monday & Wednesday 4:00-6:00pm: Meet & Greet with Canadian athletes at the Olympic Plaza.