Whistler Sliding Centre to host BMW IBSF World Cup Bob & Skeleton, December 2-3
Whistler, BC: The world’s best bobsleigh and skeleton athletes are back at the Whistler Sliding Centre to kick off the 2016-17 BMW IBSF World Cup season! On December 2 & 3, nearly 200 athletes representing 22 countries will compete for the prestigious medals on the world’s fastest track. Competitions will be held for Women’s Skeleton, Men’s Skeleton, 2-woman Bobsleigh, 2-man Bobsleigh and 4-person Bobsleigh.
|Race Schedule (subject to change):|
|Friday, Dec 2||2:00pm||Women’s Skeleton Heat 1|
|3:30pm||Women’s Skeleton Heat 2|
|6:00pm||2-man Bobsleigh Heat 1|
|7:30pm||2-man Bobsleigh Heat 2|
|Saturday, Dec 3||10:00am||Men’s Skeleton Heat 1|
|11:30am||Men’s Skeleton Heat 2|
|2:00pm||2-woman Bobsleigh Heat 1|
|3:30pm||2-woman Bobsleigh Heat 2|
|6:00pm||4-person Bobsleigh Heat 1|
|7:30pm||4-person Bobsleigh Heat 2|
Ticket cost is $10/person (incl. tax), Children 12 and under are free. Proceeds from ticket sales go towards sliding sports. Tickets are available:
- Online select 'Sport Event Admission' and choose the day that you want
- At the track entrance ticket booth, or in Guest Services building
- At the Visitor Centre, Whistler, Gate Way Dr.
On-Site Services December 2 & 3:
- Spectator Shuttle to top start area of track
- Fully Licensed Spectator Area in the Lower Loop:
- Mulled wine, beer, non-alcoholic beverages and smokies/brats by Gibbons
- Snowline Catering (veggie & chicken curry)
- Retail: Buy a Whistler Sliding Centre bell at Guest Services to make some noise!
Around 200 athletes from 22 countries competing:
- Bobsleigh (14 nations): AUS, AUT, BRA, CAN, FRA, GBR, GER, KOR, MON, NED, ROU, RUS, SUI, USA
- Skeleton (18 nations): AUS, AUT, BEL, CAN, ESP, GBR, GER, ISV, ITA, JPN, KOR, LAT, NED, NZL, RUS, SUI, SWE, USA
Winners of last season’s BMW IBSF World Cup races in Whistler (January 22-23, 2016)
- Women's Skeleton: Tina Hermann (GER), Time Total 1:48.90
- Men's Skeleton: Martins Dukurs (LAT), Time Total 1:44.31
- 2-woman Bobsleigh: Kaillie Humphries/Melissa Lotholz (CAN), Time Total: 1:45.37
- 2-Man Bobsleigh 1: Rico Peter/Thomas Amrhein (SUI), Time Total 1:43.41
- 2-Man Bobsleigh 2: Chris Spring/Lascelles Brown (CAN), Time Total 1:42.76
How to get to the Whistler Sliding Centre:
The Whistler Sliding Centre is located at 4910 Glacier Lane, across the street from Lot 8.
- The Excalibur Gondola will be open from 8:30am-9:30pm. No ticket is required to get on the Gondola as long as you are not dressed for skiing or snowboarding / are not carrying skis or snowboards (similar to access to the Tube Park).
- Parking is available in lots 1-5 in the Village with access on the gondola. Parking is also available in lots 6, 7 and 8 (within walking distance to the Whistler Sliding Centre).
- Public Transit: BC Transit bus system to Staff Housing (route 7), followed by a short walk to the venue. Timetables/fares available on www.bctransit.com.
Results will be available on the IBSF website