Whistler Sliding Centre and Luge Canada to host Viessmann Luge World Cup and Viessmann Team Relay World Cup presented by BMW, December 9-10
The fastest athletes on ice are back for their Luge World Cup at the Whistler Sliding Centre! December 9 & 10 will see the world’s best luge athletes from 20 countries, including Whistler’s youngsters Reid Watts, Adam Shippit and Matt Riddle who will give their World Cup debut on their home track. Races will be held for Women’s Singles, Men’s Singles, Doubles and the Team Relay World Cup.
|Race Schedule (subject to change):|
|Friday, December 9||
|Doubles Race, Run 1|
|4:20 pm||Doubles Race, Run 2|
|Women’s Race, Run 1|
|7:00 pm||Women’s Race, Run 2|
|Saturday, December 10||3:00 pm||Men’s Race, Run 1|
|4:35 pm||Men’s Race, Run 2|
|6:40 pm||Team Relay World Cup|
Ticket cost is $10/person (incl. tax), Children 12 and under are free. Proceeds from ticket sales go towards sliding sports. Tickets are available:
- Online (select the race date(s) and click on 'Sport Event Admission;) or at www.whistler.com
- At the track entrance ticket booth or in Guest Services building
- At the Visitor Centre, Whistler, Gate Way Dr.
On-Site Services December 9 & 10:
Fully Licensed Spectator Area in the Lower Loop:
- Mulled wine, beer, non-alcoholic beverages and smokies/brats by Gibbons
- Snowline Catering (veggie & chicken curry)
- Retail: Buy a Whistler Sliding Centre bell at Guest Services to make some noise!
130 athletes from 20 countries competing:
- 34 Women’s sleds from 15 nations: ARG, AUS, AUT, CAN, CRO, CZE, GER, ITA, LAT, NOR, POL, RUS, TUR, UKR, USA
- 48 Men’s sleds from 18 nations: ARG, AUS, AUT, CAN, CZE, GBR, GER, ITA, LAT, NOR, POL, RUS, SLO, SVK, SWE, TPE, UKR, USA
- 24 Doubles sleds from 12 nations: AUT, CAN, CZE, GBR, GER, ITA, LAT, POL, RUS, SVK, UKR, USA
Three young athletes that learned to slide at the Whistler Sliding Centre will be competing:
- Reid Watts (17 years old), Men’s Singles.
- Adam Shippit (17 years old) & Matt Riddle (18 years old), Doubles.
How to get to the Whistler Sliding Centre:
The Whistler Sliding Centre is located at 4910 Glacier Lane, across the street from Lot 8.
- The Excalibur Gondola will be open from 8:30am-9:00pm. No ticket is required to get on the Gondola as long as you are not dressed for skiing or snowboarding / are not carrying skis or snowboards (similar to access to the Tube Park).
- Parking is available in lots 1-5 in the Village with access on the gondola. Parking is also available in lots 6, 7 and 8 (within walking distance to the Whistler Sliding Centre).
- Public Transit: BC Transit bus system to Staff Housing (route 7), followed by a short walk to the venue. Timetables/fares available on www.bctransit.com.
Results will be available on the FIL website: www.fil-luge.org
Livestream provided by CBC on race days: www.cbc.ca/sports