Responsible for three of Whistler's 2010 Olympic & Paralympic Winter Games Venues: the Whistler Sliding Centre, Whistler Olympic Park, and the Whistler Athletes' Centre.
Whistler Sport Legacies (WSL) provides athletes with an opportunity to discover, develop, and excel in their chosen sport and host competitions at all levels. WSL also encourages a healthy lifestyle by developing programs that encourage participation in sports at a recreational level. WSL’s venues will host numerous local, regional, national, and international events in the winter. These events facilitate the growth of sport in the Whistler area, aid in the development of high performance athletes, and generate economic impact and regional and international media profile for the communities of Whistler, Squamish, and beyond.
To support our athletes and enable them to train and prepare for international competition in the legacy facilities provided by Whistler hosting the 2010 Games, WSL works in partnership with sport in Canada, including the Own the Podium program and the Canadian Sport Centre Pacific.
Our mission is to:
• Provide world class facilities for athletes to discover, develop, and excel in their chosen sport.
• Encourage a healthy lifestyle by developing programs that encourage participation in sports at a recreational level.
• Utilize the venues to generate tourism visits and economic spin-off for the region.
• Develop a business model that ensures financial resilience over the long term.
Our vision is to create a sustainable Olympic playground that inspires sport excellence and drives community, economic and social benefits.
The organization’s goals include:
- Preserving the legacy of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games.
- Continuing to host national and international sport competitions.
- Encouraging high-performance sport development.
- Inspiring youth and First Nations involvement.
- Fostering healthy lifestyles through the provision of community recreation opportunities.
- Promoting tourism in Whistler and BC.
- Operating revenue centres on a sustainable and fiscally responsible basis.
Our values represent what is important to Whistler Sport Legacies as an organization. The following values help Whistler Sport Legacies formulate the priorities and actions necessary to achieve our vision.
What We Stand For
Whistler Sport Legacies stands for:
- Our Natural Environment - our role as responsible stewards of the environment, respecting and protecting the land placed under our control. We will continually seek ways to reduce our impact on the environment and operate in harmony with natural systems.
- Excellence in Sport - the drive for excellence, as well as the respect, cooperation and personal achievement embodied in good sportsmanship and participation in athletic development throughout the life cycle. We will support opportunities that recognize the importance of facilities, people and programs that encourage athletes to reach for the top.
- Our Guests - our desire to provide an exceptional experience that inspires them to support and participate in sports and healthy lifestyles. Their experiences here will bring them back, and they will become the champions for our vision.
- Respect for Our Partners - we will cultivate the spirit of collaboration and diversity that will encourage our partners to realize a shared, mutually beneficial vision. We will listen to each other’s perspectives and continually learn from one another to ensure clear understanding, informed participation and effective decision-making.
- Our People - a workforce that is diverse, inclusive and attracts, builds and retains the best individuals; and where colleagues respect one another and are dedicated to the best interest of the organization. We are an organization that respects work-life balance and recognizes and encourages healthy lifestyles.
- A Resilient Organization – and the management of facilities and ecological systems for the long term, supported by a healthy business model. We are an organization that is strategic and flexible in its decision-making, and that is accountable to the people of Canada.